Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Personalized Bracelets with Polymer Clay

I love to enamel, work with metal and fuse glass - basically anything having to do with fire. But, I also have another love that I don't get too much time to work with - polymer clay. Why do I love it? Because it is such an inexpensive, user friendly material with endless possibilities. Polymer clay can be deceptively simple or highly complex - all with relatively ease of use.

Photo and Personalized Bracelets with Polymer Clay
by Adrianne Surian for CraftsUnleashed

Which leads me to this awesomely cute Personalized Bracelet with Polymer Clay created by Adrianne Surian for CraftsUnleashed.

Is it me, or does this look like real kiln fired clay? And, this is not the only version Adrianne demonstrates - nope, you can even personalize it with a name.

Can you guess what she used to make the impressions on this version? The color should be a hint, but you'll have to go to her website to find the answer.

Most, if not, all of the major brands of polymer clay are also inexpensive and non-toxic which makes it a perfect media to work with kids. As a  matter of fact, when I taught 2nd grade, my kids created the four stages of a butterfly (eggs, larva, pupa, adult) using polymer clay and they loved it. The projects were pretty spectacular too. A little more trouble than, say, drawing the stages (I had to take their pieces home and fire them there), but the results and their happy little faces were all so worth it.

So get your hands on some polymer clay and click HERE to get all the how tos

Houston also has a polymer clay guild - the Houston Polymer Clay Guild - that makes some pretty spectacular work. Check them out by clicking HERE.

Now go bead something.

No comments: