Monday, July 8, 2013

Creative Blocks and Monkeys?

Photo and Drawing by Danny Gregory
It happens to all of us at one time or another - we are sucked dry of ideas. Or, if we do create something that inner critic comes out and says "That looks horrible" - "You're not good enough" and so on and so on.

Danny Gregory is an author and artist extraordinaire known primarily for his whimsically delightful drawings. I have followed his blog for a very long time and I am a huge fan. My best friend, Sharon Hendry (check out her blog HERE), introduced me to his blog many years ago because she knows how much I long to draw. Oh, I can draw things - certain things - but it takes me a long time and it is very frustrating for me. Sharon, on the other hand can probably draw with one hand tied behind her back. Did I mention she works for Houston Community College? She teaches classes in the Digital Department and one of them is drawing fundamentals. Yes, I've taken her class and it was awesome. But, my inner monkey (as Danny Gregory refers to that inner critic) came out and I gave up drawing once again.

But, I digress - this blog is about beading after all and what does Danny Gregory and drawing have to do with beading? Well, Danny Gregory wrote this most excellent post about creative blocks and that inner critic/monkey today and it is probably one of the best things I've ever read that deals with that subject.

So just what does he have to say about that inner critic?

"Just start. Do one small drawing on one small piece of paper. A Post-It. Or draw a loose grid on your sketchbook page and fill in one single square with a line drawing of your foot. Whistle while you do it. If the monkey starts to grumble, hum louder. Push off that inner criticism for 120 seconds until you can get something down on the page.

Creating something, anything, can break the logjam. And it can give you something to look back at hours later, to get excited about. Initially, the monkey may sneer about your tiny attempt but go back at it and look at it again. Find something to love in it. It’s in there.

Don’t talk about it. If you are having block, don’t endlessly discuss it and seek solace from others. The more you do, naming it and broadcasting it, The more you solidify the block, the more of a living entity it becomes. Give it a name and you give it power. Stress over it and you become twisted and jailed.

My words here are a double-edged sword. I want you to be able to see that your problem is a common one, that you don’t suck any more than the rest of us. But the more we dwell on this discussion, the more attention the monkey gets, and the less time we are spending making something."


"The more we dwell on this discussion, the more attention the monkey gets, and the less time we are spending making something." 

"You don't suck more than the rest of us."

WOWIE! The entire post is so awesomely written, but it was these these paragraphs and, in particular, these two sentences that stuck out and resonated with me more than anything else - probably, because one of my biggest problems is that monkey. Sure, he aimed his post at people who draw; in fact, you should check out the drool worthy Facebook page for Everyday Matters, but how can his advice not apply to painting, sculpting, woodworking - any artistic effort - even beading!?

I would highly recommend you click HERE  right now to go read his entire post - you won't regret it! Actually, he has dedicated several posts to this subject and you will find them all well worth your time.

So, thank you Danny Gregory for once again inspiring me and probably a host of others to take up the pen, pencil, beads, paints or whatever their chosen media is and start - right now.

Now go bead something - right now!

No comments: