Monday, January 21, 2013

What's Liver of Sulfur?

Liver of Sulfur in liquid form.
Picture from www.riogrande.com
 Liver of sulfur, also known as potassium sulfide, is used to bring out the textural details in metal jewelry and even give them an antique or vintage look almost immediately. I’ve heard people refer to this process as oxidation or oxidizing, but it is really just a form of patina. Liver of sulfur works on silver and copper, but not on gold. And, although you can get some effects on brass, I don’t think the patina is as effective as it is on the other two metals.

Liver of sulfur comes in three different forms: liquid, gel and lump. I personally like the gel form because it is easier to control and I find that I waste much less of it too. Be aware that liver of sulfur deteriorates in sunlight so if you use the lump type, either make up a small batch or keep the gel/liquid form in a dark, cool place away from your other tools and metals (lest, you get some accidental patinaed effects). And, it stinks (like rotten eggs) so be sure to have some ventilation when you are applying it to your pieces.

Live of Sulfur in pellet or lump form.
Picture by www.riogrande.com
I always apply liver of sulfur to a very clean piece of metal that has been textured – even etched (one of my favorite techniques) – or slightly sanded (something with a little “tooth”). I like to scrub it clean with a soft brass brush and a cleanser such as Comet and then I make sure not to touch the area I want to patina. I either dip the entire piece into the liver of sulfur solution or use a soft, inexpensive artist’s brush to apply the liver of sulfur to certain areas and wait a few minutes. Once it has reach the color I like, I use my soft brass brush and dishwashing soap (I love Dawn) over the entire piece. Most of the times, I simply clean, rinse, dry and then use some fine steel wool or even a green scrubby to remove some of the patina around from certain areas of the metal.

Some artists also get great effects by heating the metal first and then applying the liver of sulfur.

Liver of Sulfur in gel form
Picture by www.riogrande.com
To keep the patina color, I apply a light coat of Renaissance wax or even give it a couple of light sprayings of Nikolas Spray Lacquer.

So, you don’t want to mess with the chemical? Good news – you can do the same with boiled eggs. Simply boil one or two eggs (depending on how large and how many pieces you want to patina); As soon as you can handle them, chop coarsely and place in the plastic zip lock bag. Add your pieces and wait. It can take anywhere from an hour or so to a couple of hours – even days. I’ve actually tried this technique and it does work!

Remember – safety first. Be sure to wear safety glass and rubber gloves, especially if you are particularly allergic to certain solutions. 

Experiment, have fun and be safe!

No comments: